JC Bakes: End of Year Cookies
Welcome back to Jasmin Charlotte! I am having a little bit of time off blogging after blogmas and because I have been struck down with the flu. Christmas and ever since has involved a lot of lying on the couch and in bed. I have barely had an appetite so Christmas wasn’t as I imagined, gorging over the festive season, but everyone has been very lovely and taken care of me and I have received lots of amazing gifts which will pop up on here soon. But don’t worry I will be back to my regularly scheduled programming with a lot of new and exciting posts in the New Year! However, I did manage to a do a bit of baking before I was struck down so thought I would share these beauties wit you today.
I named these my end of year cookies as not only are these so delicious but they use up the leftovers! They stay nice and soft and chewy on the inside but crispy on the outside. I have used this recipe a couple of times and it is pretty simple. But once you have the base you can really add any kind of flavourings you want, and at the end of the year there are always lots of bits of chocolate and sweet bits running about so this is a great way to get rid of them. To keep up with my chocolate orange addiction, I did half of this batch with chocolate orange and half with blocks of milk and white chocolate, and I think both turned out pretty well! I adapted this recipe from one on BBC Good Food.
150g salted butter, melted for about 30 seconds in the microwave until soft
80g caster sugar
80g light brown muscovado sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
220g plain flour
Half teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
200g chocolate or any sweet treat (I used 100g chocolate orange, and 100g white/milk chocolate)
1. First preheat your oven to 180 degrees and line a couple of baking trays with non stick paper.
2. Now mix your sugars and butter all together in a bowl – your butter should be soft enough for it to combine, if it isn’t then pop it back in the microwave.
3. Next add your egg and vanilla extract and combine until smooth.
4. Sift your flour and bicarb of soda and mix with your dough until it is more of a dry dough – I added the flour in two batches so it combined smoothly.
5. Now here is where I split the dough in half in two bowls and added my chocolate orange to one bowl, and my chunky chocolate to the other.
6. Take your combined dough and spoon small balls onto your baking sheets – make sure you keep a good distance between them as they do spread!
7. Pop them in your oven – I left these in for 12 minutes, rotating the tray once as my oven was a little uneven but they should still be quite soft in the middle as they continue to cook and harden as they cool.
Now these are the most attractive of cookies, I’m sure you could ice them but they taste delicious and that is what matters! They remind me of the American style cookies you can buy at the mall.
Do let me know if you give these a try and tweet me at @jasxcharlotte
I hope you all had a fab Christmas and I will see you in the new year!
PS Follow me on bloglovin to keep up with my adventures in 2015!