I have never cooked with turkey. Seriously! I swear in NZ, there wasn’t the demand. But now I live down the road from a GIANT supermarket, so I decided it was time to branch out and give it a go. Turkey is a really lean meat, and like chicken is a good option for when you are trying to watch your weight and red meat intake.
I’m not necessarily trying to lose much weight, but I feel like when you are busy with work and life, bad habits just tend to sneak in. Having that extra serving of dinner, that ‘treat’ burger at the pub (every few days!), and just finishing off every meal with a little sweet treat. So I am trying to become more aware of what I’m eating, and finding some better alternatives (as I shared recently in my 4 healthy snacks post!). I am giving up sugar until Easter, not the ‘I’m avoiding any type of food which has any tiny bit of sugar’, but the no chocolate, biscuits, haribo, desserts or obviously sugary food version. I’ve been so surprised as to how easy it has actually been so far. When it just isn’t an option, I’ve been finding it a lot easier to resist.
So along with the no sugar thing, I’ve been trying to make dinners which don’t have an obvious serving of carbs. I love carbs and could never fully give them up. Buuut, I feel like I’m almost programmed to put a serving with carbs with every meal. It almost feels like the meal isn’t full without that portion of potatoes/pasta/rice/bread on the side.
So this meal was one of my attempts at not using carbs as a main component of the meal. These mozzarella stuffed turkey meatballs, are so good. The mozzarella keeps the meatballs nice and moist, and you get a little treat in the middle of every mouthful. I even used the low fat mozzarella and it was still really satisfying. I ended up serving this with a carrot/swede mash (almost a carb, but not quite!) and some roasted red peppers. It even got the boyfriend tick, so give this a go!
Low Fat Mozzarella Stuffed Turkey Meatballs
This recipe made 6 big meatballs, enough for 2 people for dinner.
- 250g turkey mince (I used the 7% fat version)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 TBSPs parmesan cheese
- 1/4 Cup breadcrumbs (I used some flavoured ones)
- 1 TBSP Parsley
- 1 TBSP Oregano
- 1 TSP Chilli Flakes
- 1/4 ball of mozzarella (I used the Be Good low fat mozzarella)
- 1 jar pasta sauce (I used a tomato and chilli version for a kick!
1. Preheat your oven to 200 degrees celsius, chop your mozzarella into small (thumbnail) sized chunks.
2. Combine the turkey mince, garlic, parmesan, breadcrumbs, parsley, Italian seasoning and chilli flakes in a bowl. Give them a big mix with your hands!
3. Split your mixture into 6. Take the turkey mince mixture, press the mozzarella into it and then mould the mince around to form your meatball. Roll the ball in your hands a few times to make sure it is secure!
4. Heat up a pan with a little oil, and pop in your meatballs – just to brown the outsides not cook them. So once they are brown, pop them into an over proof dish and cover with the tomato sauce.
5. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until cooked through!
6. Eat, find them delicious and then make them for dinner the next day too!
What is your ideal meatball? What have you made with Turkey?